One of the first discussions we had as a group was the need for a representative hashtag that categorizes and synthesizes online posts about our students, alumni, and faculty. To decide this hashtag, we are reaching out to our wonderful community for ideas and suggestions! Please submit your hashtag entry to email@example.com
What is a hashtag?
- A way to synthesize what you are writing about.
- A label for content; a hashtag categorizes content so others interested in it can quickly find content on that same topic (Campbell, 2013).
- A hashtag is a word or phrase with a “#” before it: #UGA or #SAchat.
Where can you use hashtags?
- Most used on social media sites such as Twitter, Facebook, Pinterest, and Instagram.
Why use a hashtag?
- A hashtag helps target your audience (Dugan, 2011).
- A hashtag allows people who search for that hashtag to find your post (Dugan, 2011).
- Use a hashtag to facilitate a conversation between connected or unconnected individuals (Georgieva, 2012).
How will this hashtag be used?
- Outreach efforts for prospective students and alumni.
- A way to categorize and synthesize online posts about the great work students and alumni are doing.
- To showcase the talent of our students and faculty.
- To share what is being learned in the classroom.
Campbell, A. (2013, August 11). What is a hashtag? And what do you do with hashtags? [Blog post]. Retrieved from: http://smallbiztrends.com/2013/08/what-is-a-hashtag.html
Dugan, L. (2011, July 22). Twitter 101: Why use hashtags? [Blog post]. Retrieved from: http://www.mediabistro.com/alltwitter/twitter-101-why-use-hashtags_b2571
Georgieva, M. (2012, April 24). How to use hashtags on Twitter: a simple guide for marketers. [Blog post] Retrieved from: http://blog.hubspot.com/blog/tabid/6307/bid/32497/How-to-Use-Hashtags-on-Twitter-A-Simple-Guide-for-Marketers.aspxhttp://blog.hubspot.com/blog/tabid/6307/bid/32497/How-to-Use-Hashtags-on-Twitter-A-Simple-Guide-for-Marketers.aspx